It is not law to have a will in Turkey but it is strongly advisable for a person owning a property to have a will to avoid any complications that may arise from not having a will in place. The Turkish law regarding the transfer of real estate on the event of death is very different to other countries. The Turkish Inheritance law outlines that as a spouse you receive 25% of the estate with the children of the decease inheriting the remaining 75%. If there is more than one child the estate will be divided between them equally.
Your UK will is legally valid in Turkey but to be ensure there is no confusion it is advisable to have a Turkish will. Note: If you have a will in the UK, remember to update it with your new property in Turkey.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided as a general guide. Information published to YellAli is confirmed by official government departments in Turkey. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the site is up to date and accurate, information may be subject to change at any time. YellAli does not accept any responsibility or liability for inaccuracies in this information.